- Centrality of processes central to intelligence/consciousness require RR
- Many things feed into this, at fundamental level unified phenomena
- Need to try and give naturalistic account of this. Can then use it in an elegant manner to explain certain features of human spirituality.
- RR as the ongoing evolving fittedness of sensory motor loop to its environment under the virtual engineering of the bio-economic logistical constraints of efficiency that compress, integrate, assimilate, and resiliency that particularize and differentiate
- Leads to complexity that leads to self-transcendence.
- Can’t do this comprehensively. Too technical here.
- Give an exemplary argument of a plausible naturalistic account of RR
- We have this worked out in terms of information processing processes. But can see it worked out in the brain?
- Not arguing we’re nothing but our brains, too simplistic.
- But have to appreciate how complex, dynamic, self-creating, plastic, capable of qualitative development brain is
- Suggestive - he’s not attempting to prove.
- Arguing it is plausible to empirically explain RR
- Increasing evidence that when neurons fire in synch something like compression
- Evidence that when people cooperate, their brains patterns of synchronicity
- Scale invariant: see this process over many levels
- RR has to be happening locally and globally
- Suggestive that this can be implementing RR
- At many levels of analysis, what have is a pattern where neurons fire in synchrony, then asynchronous, rapidly oscillating manner: self organizing criticality
- Particular kind of self-organizing
- Ex: grains of sand falling, sand grains self-organize, no little elf shapes the sand into a mold, it self-organizes into a mound.
- At some point enters critical phase, system close to breaking down.
- Order: as mound takes shape. Position of anyone one grain gives information about where the other grains will be.
- Criticality get avalanche: collapse, general system failure
- Sand can spread out due to avalanche, introduces variation, important changes in the structural functional organization of the sand mound
- New mound forms that can go much higher than the previous one. Emergent property.
- Cycles like this
- Brain cycles in this manner.
- Neurons cycle together, then neural avalanche, reconfigure into a new synchronicity
- Doing data compression, does a neural avalanche, introduces variability into the system which allows a new structure to reconfigure, momentarily fitted to the situation
- Evolving fittedness, complexifying
- Constantly evolving its sensory-motor fittedness to the environment he would argue
- Happening at a myriad of levels, through the whole structure of the brain. Highly recursive, highly complex, dynamic
- Implies RR
- Thatcher et al: 2008-2009
- If RR is GI then should see measurable relationship between the two
- Found that strong relationship between measures of self-organization and how intelligent you are.
- More flexibility, more intelligent
- Not conclusive: lots of controversy
- If this is right has important implications. May be able to move from psychometric measures of intelligence to direct measures of intelligence
- May help develop AI
- Naturalistic account of RR in terms of neuron firing patterns
- Network theory: new way of looking at it
- Three kinds of networks:
Regular network: all the connections are short distance connections. Lot of redundancy. Everything double connected
random/chaotic: mix of short and long connections
Broad families of networks.
Regular network lot of redundancy. Important because resilient. Can do a lot of damage and still connected. But price: inefficient. Mean path distance: lot of steps.
Random: so messy, but efficient. So many long distance connections. Low mean path distance. But not resilient.
Networks are being constrained in their functionality by the trade-offs in the bio-economics of efficiency and resiliency
Small-world: optimal amount of efficiency and resilience
If brain is doing RR by trading between eff/res. Should see small world networks and SWN should be associated with highest functionality in the brain.
Increasing evidence this is the case
(g) - RR - SWN. More brain wired like this more intelligent. Controversial
But finding that these kinds of patterns of organization make sense
Suggestive evidence that working memory like this. Salience network.
As brain is moving to SWN in the salience network become more intelligent. Salient is what stands out
This research is from the last 2 years. Controversy. Ongoing, progressive
Plausible that will be able to increasingly explain RR in terms of firing/wiring
The more a system firing in self-organizing fashion will tend to SWN
More it wires like SWN more likely will fire in that pattern - mutually reinforcing
Strongly suggestive that this is going to be given a completely naturistic explanation
May give naturalistic account of the phenomenology of Consciousness
Plausible possibility of natural explanation
- Should all hang together such that machinery of intelligence and functionality of intelligence should be integrated in terms of RR
- Relationship between consciousness and self-organizing criticality
- Two images, different visual fields, compete with each other. Experientially switch back and forth.
- Cube that flips:
- See it both ways
- When see one one part of the brain goes into synch. Then when switches another part goes into synch.
- Suggestive of relationship between C and SOC
- Functionality of consciousness to do RR associated with SOC - convergent
- Monte et al. 2013
- Give people general anaesthetic. Observe brain as pass in and out of C
- As pass out loses SWN breaks down into more local networks
- C seems to be associated with degree to which brain wiring as SWN
Machinery of Insight
- Stephen and Dickson: found way to measure how much entropy in processing while trying to solve the insight problem
- Found entropy goes down (behaviour becomes more organized) right before insight
- Links insight to SOC
- Study links insight to SWN
- When have an insight, people’s info organized like a regular network. Get a long distance connection that forms. Lose some resiliency, but gain a masssive spike in efficiency.
- Insight is when a regular network is converted into a SWN: optimization
- Ex: metaphor: take two domains, Sam is a pig. Connection between it.
- What happens in insight is SOC, breaks up a regular network converts it into a SMN
- Sudden enhancement, increased optimization of RR, accompanied with a flash of salience (flow experience extends it)
- In specifics this will turn out to be false probably, but project is progressing. So much is converging.
RR and Salience Landscape
- RR happening at multiple levels
- Featurization feeding up and back into foregrounding feeds up into figuration (figuring me out, aspectualized)
- Dynamic and textured salience landscape
- Core machinery of perspectival knowing.
- RR is core machinery of participatory knowing feeds back to salience landscaping/perspectival knowing - gives dynamic situational awareness which opens up an affordance landscape - affordances become obvious to you.
- Giving affordance obviation: certain affordances being selected and made obvious to you - basis of procedural knowing: knowing how to interact
- Propositional knowing putting aside for now
- Perspectival knowing grounded in participatory knowing
- Situational awareness obviates affordances is what need to train skills
- C is about doing higher order RR that affords you solving your problems
- All of this is salience landscape
- Salience landscape has 3 dimensions:
- Aspectuality: SL aspectualizes things. Features being foregrounded and framed. Ex: look at a marker. Capture aspects
- Centrality: way RR works: RR grounded in how things are relevant to you. How they are imported to you. Vectored onto me.
- Temporality: small differences in time make huge differences. Kairos central. Small variations can have major changes. Central relevance in their timing.
- SL is unfolding of these three dimensions: ACT
- C giving perspectival knowing, grounded in participatory knowing, that affords procedural training, that has SL with ACT.
- Centrality is the hereness: C is here. Indexed on me. Nowness. Togetherness (unity how everything fits together - oneness).
(all seems consistent with IIT)
- A lot of the phenemenology of C explained with functionality
- Not complete. But a lot of it.
- He argues is this gives us an account for why altering states of consciousness can have such a profound effect:
- Down to identity
- Up to agency
- Linked to profound sense of insight
- Feel like dramatic coupling to environment
- All hangs together well. Looks like have the machinery need to talk about it
- RR is not cold calculation: always about how your body is making risky affect laden choices what to do with its precious, limited, cognitive and metabolic resources
- RR always aspect of caring
- Always affect. Thinge are salient, catching arousal
- Creating affect. Moving, emotion. Moving towards action.
- At the guts of conscious intelligence there is caring.
- Heidegger: at core of our being in the world is a foundational kind of caring.