Ep. 46 - Awakening from the Meaning Crisis - Conclusion and the Prophets of the Meaning Crisis

topic

discussion

my notes

• Model Theory Wisdom by V and Leo Ferrera
    • Enhancing inferential processing through active open mindedness
    • Enhancing insightful processing through mindfulness
    • Enhancing capacity for internalization by internalizing the sage and cultivating Sophrosyne
    • Salience landscape organizes away from self-deception toward the truth - what’s true good and beautiful
    • Coordinates propositional knowing associated with inference
    • Coordinates procedural knowing associated with insight
    • Coordinates perspectival knowing associated with internalization
    • Directed towards:
      • realizing Sophrosyne
      • Cultivate more moral existence by connection to virtue
      • mastery in the sense of coping and caring
      • Meaning in life: needs to be integrated with greater work
    • Missing participatory knowing, understanding, transformative experience, gnosis, aspiration, all must be integrated
    • Tried to suggest beginning of account how we turn basic understanding (grasps the relevance of our knowledge) into profound understanding by integrating the account of understanding with the account of possibilities
    • Profound understanding: generation of plausibility by having convergence onto a contextually sensitive optimal grip that is transformatively transferable in a highly effective manner in problem finding in many different problem finding formulating and solving in many different domains
  • Aspiration:
    • In addition to inspiration can have aspiration- more incremental. But can’t be solved in an inferential decision-theoretic fashion - proleptic rationality
    • What’s missing is a psychology of aspiration. Callard’s idea to do this: create something that’s double-faced/symbolic having aspects of gnosis in it, allows us to make leap even if its incremental from who we are now and what we value now to the place where acquired some new thing that value for its own sake
    • Ex: Music appreciation class
    • V sees this relying on symbolic capacity - gnosis - serious play
    • Aspiration has affective component - wonder
  • All of this needs to be integrated into an account of wisdom
  • Wisdom is an ecology of psycho-technologies/cognitive styles that dynamically (reciprocal optimization) enhances:
    • RR central to inference
    • Insight
    • Intuition
    • Internalizing the sage
    • Understanding
    • Gnosis
    • Relevance realization at work within transformative experience
    • Aspiration
  • Dynamic system overlapping with the account of enlightenment - counteractive dynamical system that counteracts parasitic processing
  • Wisdom: kind of dynamical system that is kind of counteractive for overcoming self-deception, parasitic processing and foolishness
  • Wisdom enhancing religio → sacredness and meaning in life - all connected
  • Plausible to argue that shown connection wisdom, enlightenment, enhancement of religio, sacredness

Wise cultivation of enlightenment

• Wise cultivation of enlightenment
  • Situated in:
    • a worldview that affords worldview attunement:
      • V’s account consistent with a scientific worldview by running it all off machinery of relevance realization that can be given a naturalistic explanation
    • A Coop network of communities of practice:
      • A reflective equilibrium, dynamic, with a wisdom wiki, has both top-down researchers on wisdom, and practitioners, bottom-up-top-down relationship
      • Wisdom wiki takes on credo function, but in service of religio, created by communities of practice
  • This is how think can awaken from the meaning crisis

(but missing narrative - how can we just get rid of it? What about staying power - will the wiki really replace narrative?)

• Draw all the machinery together for overcoming the perennial problems dealing with the historical issues, to connect wisdom and enlightenment together in a comprehensive fashion, to connect that with enhancing and meaning in life and overcoming self-deception, situating it within kind of socio-cultural framework
  • Not hostile to religion, but not dependent on religion nor dependent on political ideology
  • Some are developing this right now

Prophets of the Meaning Crisis

• Want a constructive dialogue with other responders to the meaning crisis - prophets in the OT sense telling forth the meaning crisis trying to awaken us to it, trying to galvanize us in response to it
  • Put all of this in constructive dialogue with the prophets
  • Can’t do everyone. Not going to talk much about Wittgenstein
  • Whitehead: trying to understand him, not confident yet about him
  • Heidegger, Husserl
  • Gnosis - Eckert → Heidegger
  • Descartes - Kant - Heidegger
  • Tillich - prophetic announcement of meaning crisis - need to get to the god beyond the god of theism
  • Corbin → Jung (directly influenced by gnostics and kant)
  • Dourley - shows similarities of Tillich and Jung
  • Romantics → Barfield - notion of participation

• Postmodernism: we should more carefully look at individual thinkers - Derrida, Graham Harmon (Speculative realism - Object-oriented-ontology)
  • Han

• Should have a more nuanced response to post-modernism
  • James, and Buddhism - the Kyoto School - Nishida, Nishitani (Religion and Nothingness)

Husserl

• Phenomenology
  • Sokolowski: Introduction to Phenomenology, Experimental Phenomenology Idhe
  • Phenomenology attempt to get us back to contact epistemology
  • Phen. not just introspecting. Not the commonsense introspection.
  • More disciplined - pahy reflective and experimental attention, probative attention to the way we are in contact with the world
  • Husserl emphasized intentionality
  • Intentionality = any mental directedness
    • Perception OF the bottle
    • thinking ABOUT Paris
    • actions TOWARD the book
  • World is disclosed - meaningfully structured environment (arena)
  • Mental agency, mental directedness,
  • Noesis → noema
  • Attention on the transjective relationship
  • Phenomenology = Reflective attention, paid to perspectival knowing of the transjective relationship
  • Going to come back to criticize this

Heidegger

• Criticism of Husserl - work didn’t really give us contact. V: didn’t give account participatory knowing
  • Modal relationship of agent and arena.
  • Participatory knowing needed to be set within an ontology
  • How does the transjective relationship sit within an overall account of being itself
  • Out of touch with our being and through our being of being itself
  • Husserl is cartesian - Heidegger sees that cuts us off from the world. Trapped within our subjectivity
  • How do we open up participatory knowing, situate it within an ontology and break free restrictions of cartesian cultural cognitive grammar
  • Need to phenomenologically direct towards our being - who and what we are
  • Will lead to a phenomenological realization that we are the beings who beat, whose being is in question
  • Talking about what grounds this Husserlian framework in a participatory knowing
  • As persons, humans who and what we are, our essence, our being, that has been in question. I existed before who and what I am has come into being
  • Existentialism - your existence precedes your essence
  • We are in question to ourselves: what am I?
  • What is the meaning of my life, what makes it meaningful to me?
  • Heidegger trying to get you to remember the being mode
  • Stepping back and confronting mystery, process of development, of becoming, transformative experience
  • Trying to wake you up phenomenologically - Dasein: being
  • I exist, being there, thrown into being, my being is in question
  • My participatory knowing, my way in which I try to connect to how I’m situated in being has an operatic element to it, I realize that central to me is that my being is in question
  • My being = my participatory knowing. That’s how to link participatory knowing to ontology itself - my self knowledge will also get me into my knowledge of ontology
  • I can frame an ontological question of \putting being itself into question
  • I know myself as a being whose being is in question, and knowing myself that way is also to put being into question
  • Deep participation in the codetermining mysteries of who I am and what being is
  • Can come into contact with our being mode
  • We are self-defining, self-meaning things
  • Come into contact with our own modal existence and the mystery of being itself
  • Heidegger going to argue the history of metaphysics is the history of nihilism