Maps of Meaning YouTube Series - Which version should I watch?

I hope I’m posting this in the right place! I recently started the 2015 Maps of Meaning series on YouTube. Halfway through lecture three I recalled there being versions from other years. I figured if I was going to spend hours watching, I should watch the “preferred” version if there is one. Are there any major differences between the 2015, 2016 & 2017 Maps of Meaning series? Is one preferable to the others? Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi Emily,
There aren’t any substantial differences in the curriculum/material between those years that I’m aware of, but one of the great values of Peterson is his skill at anecdotal oration, so there are often short quips and stories that are spread out over different lectures that make watching different semesters’ versions worthwhile. Otherwise, the only notable differences that I can see are that there is a pronounced improvement in his health from 2015-16 to 2017, and a bit more self-awareness following his exposure to the limelight. If you’re looking for charismatic vivaciousness that paces the floor like a cat, go with 2017. If you want a more staid, sedentary Peterson, that occasionally barks Nietzsche from his chair while he twirls a diet coke in one hand, continue with 2015.

I also don’t think you are likely to miss out on anything between the two. The quips from 2017 that would be signficant, we probably go over them at our meeting notes anyway at #maps-of-meaning. In the end, the goal of his Maps of Meaning lectures is to provide a lecture series for his book, which is assigned reading for his students.

The book for maps of meaning, which we recently finished for the study group, is incredibly good. The lecture series is like the introduction to the book. So if you find the lecture series good, it is worthwhile checking out the book.