2017-03-10: Maps of Meaning #6

topic

discussion notes

• Lecture 6 - 1:47:00 - - jung: men go after perfection, women go after wholeness

• Seems when women entered the workforce, personal development has gone a lot more about wholeness, with the accident of pitching personal development styles on both genders, rather than gender specific
  • Gender % in university degrees

• Is there a gender % in SJW, and marxism, communism, postmodernism?

• Evaluation of governments and companies

• Freedom of speech perception in countries

• Jordan B Peterson on Hate Speech

• Hungary - holocaust denial is illegal

• Australia - no problem, we really despise censorship, many foreigners come to our country and it is a shock, and commonly held beliefs and way of processing the world (institutionalised racism) are confronted and challenged, and their summary is bewilderment that we have a very multicultural country but appear so racist to them

• Sweden - right-wing opinions are pushed underground, where they radicalise and grow, when open conversation about them will be able to counter and neutralise such opinions

• Columbia - you can die for expressing a left-wing or right-wing opinion

• Cognitive Dissonance

• Self-discrepancy theory

• Should self vs ideal self vs actual self

• When one leaves, we have the choice of moving the other two, or pulling the other one back in

• This causes cognitive dissonance, which can be a short or lengthy process

• If our ideal self leaves our should and actual, we need to build reasons to be our ideal (to move our should self to the ideal) and through actions make our actual self be considerable to our ideal self

• If our ideal self is not possible/unrealistic/no-longer-relevant, it may be better to pull it back to the others

• Transcendence / how to identify goals

• Feeling of fulfillment

• David Foster Wallace - when I studied psychology, I felt 60% of me was engaged, when I did writing, 100% of me was engaged, so I chose writing (even though it was more difficult for me, it was also more rewarding and enlivening)
    • Relationships

• Responsibility and meaning as the relationships we have with other entities and objects

• Being a father/mother/parent or being just a good partner/husband/wife may be the most fulfilling things that many of us will ever do, and this is not a bad thing!

• Defining transcendence - Tree vs butterfly vs ascension

• Something worth living for - vs - Something worth striving for - vs - Something worth dying for

• Sometimes death is worth the sacrifice in your framework of meaning

• Braveheart (risking his life to free his nation)

• The Fountain (commitment to his work)

• Christopher Hitchens (smoking, drinking)

• Islamic Suicide Bombers

• Timing discussion

• Will be moving to Saturday 3pm GMT to make it easier for european time zones to stay awake, and more accessible to eastern time zones - and saturday as people have jobs